Saturday 19 October 2013

A thing for green

The newly 18-year-old daughter of my last post has deemed that she needs a birthday quilt. She spotted this collection of 'Daisy Chain' by Amy Butler in my stash and swooned. She has a thing for green just now.


She declared that she wanted something simple and understated, not too fussy. I asked her to draw a sketch of what she was thinking:


We all fell about laughing at her expense. Her father said we could call the design, 'Excel Spreadsheet'! Poor sweet! Her brain is full to overflowing with HSC content. No room left for quilt designs obviously!


I pulled a few more aquas, navies and tans from the stash, to calm down the green. Can't say I'm big on green, but emerald is the 'go to' right now. And daughter has decreed it, so green it is.


After some consultation with the designer, we decided on a modification of her original plan. I did a quick mock up on my Quiltography app, which I can highly recommend. In the early days, Quiltography was restricted to a set of prescribed blocks, but with later updates, I can draw up my own blocks. It is lots of fun, quick and easy, and a whole lot more productive than Candy Crush! (If you're quick, you can get it for 20% off this weekend). Watch this space. Hoping to start putting this quilt together soon. Bloom x

10 comments:

  1. Oh I love it ... Didn't even mind the excell spreadsheet! Those fabrics will speak for themselves. Lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your newly 18 year old had a great idea which you tweaked vey geekily! Loved your post - look forward to seeing the quilt - she didn't say which birthday did she?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it too - classic design that lets the fabrics do most of the talking. Hope you like making HSTs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fantastic. Will enjoy watching it come together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I do like what you have come up with. Just checked out Quiltography...am going to get this. Last time I looked at quilting apps for my ipad (which was ages ago) there was nothing that caught my eye

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful design - love the greens too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fabrics your daughter has chosen, blue and green together is my all-time fave combination, your balancing act with the neutrals is perfect! Thanks so much for the heads-up on that app! It's amazing! I love technology more and more every day! Just not as much as fabric... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful design. It's going to be gorgeous in your green color palette. Thanks for the info on that app.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The design looks great and the fabrics are gorgeous!
    She must be dreaming about spreadsheets at the moment....hope the exams are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the design you came up with and the fabrics you chose!
    Thanks for the info on the app. I think I'll be adding this to my wish list.....shame your email didn't hit my inbox until this morning (Tues.) :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips